Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: dd has a friend over (not OT)

  1. #1
    Inactive Member AGmom2AlliTori's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm cringing... dd's friend is over, she is such a sweetheart... they insist on playing AG (they are both 8) and dd's friend is twising Elizabeth's hair and making it matty... I keep trying to show her how to "properly" brush Elizabeth's hair, she doesn't seem to get it. I am frustrated, I think I need to put the dolls away, but I don't want Elizabeth's hair to get wrecked... Am I being way too protective over the dolls?

    I just have the feeling that I am teaching my girls to be very respectful of their AG belongings, but her mom hasn't taught her that - or doesn't see the need to (dd's friend's doll is a hand me down from her aunt - beautiful doll - but she didn't bring her)

    Should I put the dolls away for the week - or keep trying to teach dd's friend how to be more careful? Grrr.... After all, AG's have feelings too....

    D~

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Dancing_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2006
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think you should put away Elizebeth, and maybe have a few "play dolls" around when she comes.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member MaryCarly's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My dd would get upset at the way that her friends treated her dolls so we designated some dolls to be kept up when friends were over and we had one doll that my dd felt comfortable letting her friends play with. If they showed they could be respectful, then they got to play with all the dolls.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you are unhappy about the way the dolls are being treated, I think it is perfectly acceptable to say, "I think it is time for Elizabeth and ____ to get their rest now and time for you to play something else." Even adding something like "E. is not used to such rough handling of her hair" would not be innappropriate, in my opinion!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by MaryCarly:
    ... we had one doll that my dd felt comfortable letting her friends play with. If they showed they could be respectful, then they got to play with all the dolls.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great idea, Mary!

  6. #6
    thepidget
    Guest thepidget's Avatar

    Post

    Knowing how expensive these dolls are, it would be a good idea for you to set out some different dolls for this child to play with. We definitely wouldn't want Liz's hair to be ruined. You might also want to ask your DD how she feels about the way her friend treats her dolls, and see if your DD can try to talk to her about it.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member wesew4's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2004
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just my 2 cents but I'd put them up. Whenever I know other children are coming over I always put up all the dolls and toys I think might get broken. I've found that many people don't teach their children to at least be careful with others stuff. This has been mostly family members. We've paid alot for DD's dolls she has lee middleton baby dolls plus the AGs and I'm strict about how they're taken care of.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member auri's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2004
    Posts
    543
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Definitely get some less expensive dolls that you won't mind having roughly handled. I did that when dd was small and it worked out fine. Her friends who were rough with dolls were happy when they came over to play and she saved her AG dolls for play times with friends who were careful with them. Same for putting away accessories, etc. that can be damaged by rough handling.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member vew-tori's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I like the idea of having some dolls as more play dolls. I completely understand that the friend is not treating them as gently as your DD does but the dolls are to play with and maybe she'll learn from watching your DD. DD's Elizabeth still looks perfect and I notice when friends come over she eitherdoesn't play with her at all or makes sure she has her. We have several more well loved ebay dolls that tend to get more play time. I hope it all works out and the girls have a great time!

  10. #10
    GreyMyst
    Guest GreyMyst's Avatar

    Post

    Defintly buy some cheap fixer AGs.

    I have several that I rewigged that I let the younger girls play with and they seem to be happy as long as they are same kind & brand as the ones I have. (just a wee bit more "loved" [img]wink.gif[/img] ) I figure if those wigs get damage, I just yank em off and put another one on, LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •